Reading and Literacy at Leigh Academy Bexley
Reading For Pleasure
- Our new Leigh Academy Bexley Library will be open for early 2023.
- All students have a reading book as part of their equipment.
- All students have silent reading daily as part of their tutor programme.
- All Year 7s are sent a book in the summer holidays before joining the school.
- From 2023, all students in Years 7, 8 and 9 will have a library lesson within the English curriculum, once per fortnight, and access our Accelerated Reader programme.
- Reading is part of our PHSE programme, where students are exposed to a range of fiction and non-fiction text extracts.
- Opportunities for reading and disciplinary literacy are threaded into curriculum planning.
Targeted Reading Support
- Lexia Reading – targeted intervention for students to accelerate their reading.
- Accelerated Reader – an online programme that quizzes students’ understanding of books that they have read and recommends their next read.
- GL Reading Assessments – undertaken by all students in Key Stages 3 and 4 in the school to assess their reading age compared to their chronological age.
To take a test on a book you have recently read, please click the icon below: